For some people, buying and selling horses is a very natural part of their hobby. It’s very common for children to outgrow their ponies and move on to bigger/ faster/ sharper ones as they grow and progress. But once you finally move on to horses, then what happens? If you’ve bought a horse and it turns out you’re not the best suit, what do you do? I genuinely don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer, but I can guarantee there are a thousand opinions on it.
Take my situation for example, I moved on to horses in my teens as you do. Then a few loan horses I had were way too sharp for me. I was over horsed. I lost my confidence and ended up buying a pony, one I should have had in my early teens, but then I was 21 with a 14.1 Welsh. Now I’m only 5 ft 4 and was (!) slim so he’s never been technically too small for me. After about a year I found my confidence had grown, and I had rekindled my love for dressage and was keen to get out competing and training to develop my riding. It then became apparent that dressage was really not my boys' thing. He lacked enthusiasm in the school and tried every trick in the book to evade working. I have had lots of different trainers over the last 13 years and tried many approaches. I have definitely improved his way of going and at low-level dressage, we got some good scores and he’s always a pleasure to take out.
Now I’m ready to move on to my next horse. The next forever one. This one is for me to continue my learning and hopefully some competing. But what if it doesn’t work out? What if after a year or two, we are not compatible? Would you sell or work with it to find a ground where you are both happy? Don’t get me wrong, my horses well being and happiness is always my main priority. Anything that I’d like to get out of it always comes after that. But it’s a huge time and financial commitment, I do want to also achieve my goals. I had many people tell me along the years to sell Pd. That he wasn’t the one for me. But at 24, he’s fit and happy and still ridden. We have an amazing bond and he owes me nothing. I will never regret not selling him even if it meant me not being able to achieve things in the timeline I’d have liked. So do I take the same approach again, and buy with my heart, or should I let my head have some say in that decision?!
I will keep you posted when I finally find the new addition!